<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://greenandaquamarine.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Green+Aquamarine: Healthy Breakfasts

Sunday 6 April 2014

Healthy Breakfasts

Sorry it's been a couple of weeks since I last blogged. I've got two weeks off for Easter revision now though to recharge a little. (less than two months until my final exams though -eek!!)

Today I'm summarising some of my Instagram photos to give some inspiration for healthy, filling breakfasts.

Porridge
Porridge, or oatmeal, is the nicest treat to have in the morning. I've been really taken by nut milks and I'm always pleased to take an alternative to animal products. That being said I, don't buy soya products if I can help it due to huge amounts of deforestation being linked to soy beans, and due to potential health problems linked to it. If you have an extra couple of minutes, cook the porridge over a hob rather than the microwave; it tastes better and preserves nutrients.

Flavour your porridge with cinnamon, ground nuts, cacoa powder, or even blended up roasted pumpkin for an autumnal twist.
Up the nutritional ante by adding seeds, nuts and fruit, which will help to keep you full too.
I really like the sound of this Middle-East inspired porridge from Dale Pinnock via BodyFit magazine.

Bircher Muesli and Overnight Oats
Both of these involve soaking oats in cold liquid overnight with lots of different ingredients. A basic Bircher Museli,to serve 2-3, requires half a cup of natural yoghurt, a handful of rolled oats, one grated apple and a splash of orange juice. Add nuts and seeds and leave to soak overnight. Add extra liquid if needed, and top with fruit.
 Overnight oats is more of a loose term, but follows the same principles. Sometimes I like to use chia seeds with, or instead of the oats. Chia swells to ten times it's size when soaked. Chia also makes a delicious alternative to rice pudding when combined with almond milk overnight.

Smoothie Bowls
I love smoothie bowls! You'll get at least three portions of fruit from this, so I wouldn't recommend it everyday. Essentially it is a smoothie thick enough to eat with a spoon. I made a smoothie bowl using one and a half bananas and a handful-ish each of blueberries and raspberries. If you have time, freeze the fruit overnight, loosening with some almond milk to get an even thicker texture. Or add full-fat yoghurt. Top with nuts, seeds or granola.


Lighter breakfasts
Breakfast isn't for everyone. If you don't have much of a morning appetite, try a small glass of green juice to hydrate and energise you at the start of your day. Combine a handful of kale or spinach with quarter of a cucumber, a stick of celery, a small apple and half a lemon. Add ginger, cinnamon or chilli for extra benefits.
Come summer, I love to have a small bowl of natural or Greek-style yoghurt, topped with fruit and granola.
Alternatively, have one of my energy bars for a meal on the go.

What are your favourite healthy breakfasts? Are you a sweet or savoury breakfaster?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home