<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://greenandaquamarine.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Green+Aquamarine: Veganuary: Taking up the Challenge

Monday 5 January 2015

Veganuary: Taking up the Challenge


Veganuary is a 30 day challenge where participants go vegan during January. This is the third year that the Veganuary has been running and it is more popular than ever. Although primarily focused on reducing animal cruelty, the campaign also focusses on how veganism positively benefits the environment and potentially your health. I had considered doing a vegan food challenge before, and as soon as I heard about Veganuary, I knew I had to get involved.


From the 10th of January to the 10th of February I will be attempting to eat vegan for a month. Although I don't plan on becoming vegan full-time, I do want to reduce my reliance on animal products, especially milk-based products, which often come from a very intensive industry. My main reason for wanting to cut back on animal produce is to reduce my environmental and carbon footprint, although reducing animal cruelty and improving my own health are also very important to me. I am hoping that by going vegan for a month, I will reduce my dependancy on animal products, especially chocolate and cheese (the usual suspects!). I'll do my best to avoid honey and eggs as well, although I personally don't have an issue with eating these products so long as I know where they have been sourced.



Veganism can be pretty daunting in the kitchen department, but luckily, Veganuary has lots of recipes, all organised by region. You can also search by lifestyle including low-budget and weight loss, so you'll be sure to find plenty of recipes that suit you. I have been eating pretty much vegetarian whilst at university and didn't actually miss eating meat at all, so I am looking forward to seeing how I find cutting out dairy.

See my post on Aine Carlin's Buddha Bowls here

As diets diversify, it is getting even easier to find interesting vegan recipes. With bloggers like Aine Carlin from peasoupeats getting books published and instagram hashtags such as #veganfoodshare and #vegansofig new recipes are at your fingertips.

Veganury is currently up and running so why not make a difference and get involved? You might be surprised

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 7 January 2015 at 22:41 , Blogger Unknown said...

I think this is a great idea, as it will force you to think outside the box with what you make! I think I would find it tough as I don't eat at home often, but I definitely want to cook some more vege meals :) x

Jasmin Charlotte | UK Lifestyle Blog

 
At 8 January 2015 at 17:26 , Blogger Unknown said...

Cooking for myself definitely helps; that is why I have decided to postpone starting until I am back at uni! Good luck with experimenting in the kitchen and eating out xx

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home